VENTURA COUNTY STAR ONLINE — Who let the (free) hot dogs out in Thousand Oaks? — by Lisa Mckinnon
Thousand Oaks, Calif. - Free gourmet hot dogs topped with everything from smoked bacon to spicy basil aioli will be part of the grand-opening scene Saturday when Dog Haus makes its Ventura County debut in Thousand Oaks.
With the free-food appeal comes a big reveal: Dog Haus is the first restaurant to open at the old Denny’s on Thousand Oaks Boulevard and Moorpark Road since the latter served its last Grand Slam breakfast in August 2013.
The building has since been divided into three spaces by its owner,Harry Tizabgar. Dog Haus occupies one suite while Urbane Cafeis headed for an April debut in another. The narrow space that divides them has yet to be leased, Tizabgar said Monday.
Specializing not just in gourmet dogs but also in house-made sausages, burgers and root-beer-battered corn dog sliders, Dog Haus opened its first location in Pasadena in 2010.
Thousand Oaks will be the eighth location in the chain, and the fifth to be operated by a franchisee. Paul Homayoun opened the first franchise site in June in Canoga Park and is teaming with co-franchisee Gina Candari for the Thousand Oaks location.
From 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, visitors to the new order-at-the-counter restaurant will receive one free Haus Dog each from a selection that starts with an all-beef skinless hot dog in a grilledKing’s Hawaiian roll. The order-by-name choices are the Sooo Cali (topped with avocado, arugula and spicy basil aioli), theDowntown (wrapped in bacon and smothered in caramelized onions), and The Cowboy (more smoked bacon, plus white American cheese and barbecue sauce).
The full menu also will be available. The grand opening will feature the debut of the Motley Bleu 2.0, a burger topped with soy-racha onions, bleu Sriracha sauce, white American cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato.
Furnishings at the new Dog Haus include raised communal tables of wood and steel, with overhead light fixtures crafted from New Belgium Brewing Co. kegs.
Speaking of beer: Selections from Ladyface Ale Companie ofAgoura Hills will be on tap, while cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon will be served in Dog Haus koozies.
Hours will be
11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
50 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd.
Which hot dog is the best at Dog Haus?
Which hot dog would you be most likely to order?
• SOOO CALI wild arugula, spicy basil aioli, crispy onions, avocado, tomato
• THE COWBOY smoked bacon, white american cheese, crispy onions, bbq sauce
• LITTLE LEAGUER haus chili, fritos, shredded cheddar, diced onions
• TAE KWON DOG bulgogi glaze, kimchi, fried egg, korean chili powder
• OLD TOWN DOG smoked bacon wrapped dog, caramelized onions, roasted jalapeños, chipotle mayo, cotija cheese
• GRAND SLAM smoked bacon, fried egg, tater tots, maple syrup sriracha
• DOWNTOWN DOG smoked bacon wrapped dog, caramelized onions, roasted bell peppers, mayo, mustard, ketchup
• SCOTT BAIOLI smoked bacon, white american cheese, garlic aioli, caramelized onions
• CORN DOG IT any sausage dipped in our haus-made root beer batter